Re: Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

Author:Paul Everitt
Posted:8/26/1999; 5:37:05 AM
Topic:Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

Dave says, regarding Open Source:
Software is software, and I'd appreciate it if people who don't know much about it and don't make it would stop preaching so enthusiastically if they also don't practice self-examination to be sure their businesses can stand the same kind of scrutiny.

There's a lot of hard-won wisdom in this statement. Even though I am someone that preaches about Open Source and business, I get pretty fed up with the zealots trying to make decisions for that in which they have little to lose.

I've given that presentation at three conferences now. Each time I have a slide that asks the question: "Who is an owner of an Open Source software business?" I then make everybody applaud these people, because they are the ones that really lay it on the line for Open Source.

Employing people is a social contract, and if you've never stared down the barrel of not having enough cash to make payroll one week, then thou hast little appreciation for thy preachings.