Re: Xanadu--some initial reactions

Author:David Carter-Tod
Posted:8/26/1999; 10:48:37 AM
Topic:Xanadu--some initial reactions

Transpublishing is the idea that you can include part of someone else's document in yours, and you don't have to worry about copyright because the bytes actually come from their server. This has already been done to a limited extent with frames, and I remember at least one lawsuit that resulted. Not to mention the recent spat about deep linking. These problems are motivated by the fact that advertising is circumvented.

This can be done with cleverly simple use of javascript and is much less intrusive, e.g.

The javascript just writes HTML. It's invisible to the end user. I know I've said this before, but the first time I did this with the Excite affiliate program, I was astounded by how easy it was.

David