Re: GIFs get expensive

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:8/26/1999; 1:43:45 PM
Topic:GIFs get expensive

Why should you get an LZW Web site license?
You'll be able to deal with any vendors, developers, services or Webmasters whether they have an LZW license agreement from Unisys or not. You won't have to go to the trouble of verifying that each vendor is licensed by Unisys.

That must be the most outrageous kind of explanation for why you need a license from Unisys that I've read to date. Think about it. Just pay us US$7500 and we'll forget about you. If you pay us US$5000 we can still sue you because your web site is "doing business with vendors that are not licensed by Unisys". Extortion?

I wonder how fast this is going to cause GIF to finally be displaced by PNG and other formats...