Re: GIFs, humm, MS??

Author:David Valentine
Posted:8/26/1999; 2:01:32 PM
Topic:GIFs get expensive

From http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzwfaq.html

... Microsoft Corporation obtained a license under the above Unisys LZW patents in September, 1996. Microsoft's license does NOT extend to software developers or third parties who use Microsoft toolkit, language, development or operating system products to provide GIF read/write and/or any other LZW capabilities in their own products (e.g., by way of DLLs and APIs). ...

Seems like if you are developer that used MS dll's to READ/write GIF's you are not covered by this patent. I thought decompression was free, guess not. Humm, where is MS the we do exactly what our customers want philosophy? The Unisys lawyers seem to be the only ones who have not been trodded on by MS laywers ;) Now just wait until the MS PR machine get's hold of them.