Re: I resign as a Compaq customer

Author:Richard Sucgang
Posted:8/29/1999; 10:13:26 AM
Topic:Next clonemaker, Compaq

Could be a tough call with regards to the licensing with Microsoft. This is exactly the big deal with the Windows Refund Movement - I don't know if the licensing agreement between Dell and MS permits such integration; as far as I know, most people are actually buying two separate products - OS and hardware. And the HW vendor guarantees that their hardware works, but not necessarily the OS! Weird, and sad.

Now, aside from Apple - which is indeed humbling with the ease of use - perhaps the gauntlet can be thrown to the Linux/Intel people. I do think that VA/Research promises developer class machines that work when they are turned on.

Now, does anyone promise an NT system that works immediately out of the box? Well, we do have to keep those "IT Support" folks fed.

-rs