Re: Server Hardware

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/30/1999; 10:48:54 AM
Topic:Server Hardware

I'd recommend:

NT Server 4.0, 512MB RAM, single CPU, Pentium III, 500Mhz.

When you need more bandwidth buy another one of these and link the preferences together. By the time you need that we'll have the prefs distributor software ready for other people to use. (That should be relatively soon, it's running like a charm here. There was a thread on this on the DG on XMLRPC.COM.)

Multiple CPUs are a waste of money for Frontier. If you're running other apps on the system, then it might be worth looking into, but still I'd be suspicious. The sweet spot in the NT Server market, pricewise appears to be at the single-cpu 500Mhz Pentium III level.

In any case, that's what I ordered, that's pretty much what the aborted Compaq was.