Re: Scraping and copyright

Author:Jeremy Bowers
Posted:9/1/1999; 11:48:15 AM
Topic:Scraping and copyright

No, not just a "particular expression", but "derivative expressions" as well. I won't try to prove whether scraping is derivative (although I suspect it quite clearly is so), but if it is, it is protected.

I'd also like to point out that "posted in public" is absolutely not equivalent to "given to the public". While in some limited instances it might be fair to claim that one should take measures to prevent things (as we all mostly agreed with on the deep-linking topics), it is a horrid idea to claim "If you want someone not to use it in a certain manner, you must protect it on a technical level" is a general principle. (Follow the consequences... you'll be surprised where you go, if you are honest. I was.)