Re: I Require Permission

Author:David Carter-Tod
Posted:9/2/1999; 12:07:06 PM
Topic:Automated deep linking

By putting up an RSS, in a format whose only public purpose is the enablement of scraping, you can claim that you enable certain rights implicitly by placing it up there.

In contrast, simply publishing HTML, i.e. web content, does not imply that scraping is allowed? Do we not accept that agents can access web pages too?

I still think the most valuable objection to scraping is in the reproduction of significant content, thereby being a violation of fair use.

David