Re: I Require Permission

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/2/1999; 1:39:59 PM
Topic:Automated deep linking

Well, I have to turn around and ask, how is this so different than Inforworld's original, "please ask permission to link directly to our stories", that seemed so absurd.

It's very different, in fact it's the mirror-image of the InfoWorld policy, and derived from their old policy.

If, after deliberating, InfoWorld left their original policy in place, I had decided that I would not link to them.

In other words, I required permission.

Now I'm saying that in order to syndicate a story flow, I require permission. I see a copyright notice on the home page. That's it, no permission, as I see it.

RSS file? That's permission.

I didn't tell you what to do, btw, I just told you what I am doing.