Re: Feedback on www.userland.com?

Author:James Spahr
Posted:9/4/1999; 9:04:41 PM
Topic:www.userland.com

>As a great vintner is also a wine-lover, the best way to build
>tools for news is to love news and live a news lifestyle. That's
>what we do at UserLand.Com and in the community.

>So, therefore, not only is UserLand.Com a portal for people
>who love news, it's also a workplace for a community of writers
>and developers, creating new ways to write and distribute news.

When I first read this, this afternoon I thought "I'm glad he (Dave) finally wrote this down, its so obvious - but not stated anywhere"

In re-reading it now I'm equally pleased. I was expecting to see lots of people to start complaining that "But I don't use Frontier for that, its more than that..." when I logged back on tonight - I guess I was wrong :-)

I think having a clear statement about your product/ company is a very good thing.

Personally, I've come to think of Frontier as groupware for building websites - But just because Quark is so obviously streamlined for the publishing community (ie mutiple page designs), doesn't mean people don't use it to design posters.

>One of my teachers, Ries & Trout, quoted one of their teachers,
>David Ogilvie of Ogilvie & Mather. A young ad guy was presenting
>to a client, explaining the concepts by reading the text he had
>scribbled on the back of each ad. Ogilvie, then an old man and dean
>of the advertising world, stood up and reversed all of his ads.
>"That stuff belongs in front not in back." In other words, ads
>should state their purpose directly. There's a reason this story
> stayed with me. I like promotional material that tells it like
>it is, not fluffy crap marketing consultants write. Is there room
>for style? Of course! But not at the expense of clarity of
> communication. Is writing a valid way to communicate? Yes it is.

Oh, I could go off on such a tangent on marketing-speak ... Ogilvie is a wise man.