Re: Alexa is using XML

Author:James Carlyle
Posted:9/21/1999; 1:12:31 AM
Topic:Alexa is using XML

Greg

I should think that Alexa is using a similar framework to Netscape's What's Related (see http://www.xmltree.com/resource/detail.cfm/DDC/000/L/1/ResourceID/35?SeeThru=1&Cat=A). NS What's Related servers return an XML stream containing related sites, which the NS4 browser parses and displays.

When I click on IE5's Related button, I am shown a side browser pane with related links. I think from Alexa's news release that this is HTML with styling fed from Alexa's server, but the new standalone version on Alexa receives these links in XML and parses it on the client, making the data download smaller and the process quicker.

James