Re: What's the deal with Third Voice?

Author:Paul Snively
Posted:9/27/1999; 9:13:52 PM
Topic:Windows apps on Linux: the real reason

Jeremy Bowers wrote:

No.... you can't argue this route. "Versioning" implies that you are making changes; clearly modification and clearly illegal. (If you aren't happy with "illegal", I'll settle for "unethical".)

It implies no such thing, unless the only way you can envision "versioning" is by side-effects to original content. What about running the text from a page through a "summarizing" engine such as some of those available for the Macintosh? Is that "illegal" or "unethical?"

Besides, this just takes us right back to the debate that I think you, Dave, and I are all tired of: what constitutes "change," and where in the delivery process?

Please please PLEASE look at <http://www.waterken.com> and follow the link to the "Beach Sex" demo. It demonstrates the concept of "capability-based security" and "Electronic Rights Transfer." I suggest that if control over the right to view content in whatever fashion the creator wishes is really important, then capability-based security is going to be necessary to institute as widely as possible.

I'm convinced that re-implementing the underlying technology of the Beach Sex demo using Frontier would be trivial. Perhaps (for Frontier users) that's the real answer to the question.

Thanks for your time,
Paul Snively
<mailto:psnively@earthlink.net>