Re: Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:10/2/1999; 12:37:05 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I only use Solaris a little bit, but if I was reliant on it I would view this as good news. Existing Solaris users and developers get something they didn't have before (the source) and Sun doesn't lose anything.

However, this decision wouldn't make me want to switch to Solaris if I didn't already want to. I don't think many Linux users will switch just because the source is available. The reaction from diehard Linux users to Sun's announcement is similar to what Mac users might say about a new version of Windows. So what?

Unfortunately, I see a lot of selfish statements like "it isn't useful to me, so what's the point?" That's like pronouncing that McDonald's might as well just shut down since you don't like their food.