Re: what is copyright?

Author:Jeremy Bowers
Posted:10/5/1999; 8:16:10 AM
Topic:New Third Voice version out

And that alternative distributor got permission from the magazine publishers. Or they'd be sued into the ground.

How are you an expert on copyright?

A case could be made, but it have a really chilling effect on free speech if I can't reference _anything_ without permission from the publishers. That's not the way copyright works.

You yanked my statement out of context and then misrepresented it. The original formulation, in which a magazine distributor was widely distributing modified representations, not just referencing them, is indeed illegal and it doesn't take an "expert" on copyright to see that, it just what it is.

Referencing has nothing to do with modifying.