Re: XML-RPC Interface for Email

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:10/6/1999; 11:34:27 AM
Topic:

There are a few things that you will need, and they are all related through the first item.

  1. An rpc interface spec
  2. A mail server (mail exchanger) capable of making an xmlrpc call to store incoming messages
  3. A database implementing the xml-rpc interface
  4. A web/email client/whatever implementing the message reading part of the spec

This can be collapsed to one program on one machine (frontier comes to mind), or it can be mail exchanger -> Big Honkin Database server -> Database Access Web interface.

For ultra load, mail exchangers running unix+sendmail+procmail/some c implementation of xml-rpc as a local mailer would be my choice. Mail exchangers are common on larger sites (e.g. 50+k thousand edu accounts)

Your database is whatever you want. Oracle/DB2/Sybase all seem to scale.

Your web front end is once again whatever will scale and you can deal with as an envrionment.

But it all comes down to the well defined xml-rpc interface spec. I'd bet that you could get a working version of this using frontier + mailserver running very quickly after getting an interface spec nailed down.

eric