qmail is another solution

Author:Henri Asseily
Posted:10/6/1999; 10:49:08 PM
Topic:

Wes suggested Postfix. A similar program is qmail (www.qmail.org). It has C source code of course, it's extremely fast and secure, built as a collection of small efficient atomic programs, and very easy to configure once you grok its concept. I hear that Postfix has all those qualities, but I am not experienced in it. I set up 2 qmail servers on powerful quad-cpu 500Mhz Linux boxes and they rip. I expect a capacity of upwards of 1 million emails/day without breaking a sweat. Also it comes with IMAP and POP3 servers. It will certainly be able to handle heavy loads, especially if you write your handlers in C (which you don't need to, I've written very efficient handlers that do remote database connectivity in a combo of shell and Perl).

Henri. www.bizrate.com