Re: Breakage on the Wired channel

Author:Lawrence Lee
Posted:10/13/1999; 11:00:22 AM
Topic:Breakage on the Wired channel

More synchronicity... when today's Wired News article about ugly URLs was made available last night at around 8PM Pacific through My Userland one of the examples in the article was Wired News' URL.

The Synchronicity Example
"For example, this Wired News story is located under: http://www.wired.com/news/culture/ 0,1284,31721,00.html. The URL starts with the name of the site, then the news directory. The second "news" is actually an html file that constructs the page: It tells what ads to pull up, and sets the frames. "Culture" denotes the article section, then story, then the story identification number."

While the reference to the old URL was replaced sometime after I first saw the story, if you read the story and skip to the example it still refers to the "second" news in the directory structure (from the old URL system at Wired News).

Here's the version with the old style URL (with a link that is an old style URL):

http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/22206.html

Titles, titles, titles
My favorite visible result of the backend change are the new and improved titles.

Old Wired News:

Culture News from Wired News

New Wired News:

Ooooh, That URL Is Ugly!