Re: Ability to re-use code is key

Author:--
Posted:10/13/1999; 2:35:45 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I think it has nothing to do with open-source or close-source. It's all about personal perferences, choices and needs. I will use myself as an example. I want to run Zope, but it couldn't run on my PowerWave Mac Clone, and I don't have the money to buy a new Intel box to run it. So, I install LinuxPPC on it. Since money is the TOP concern for this hobbyist thing, so although I would prefer to use something like WebStar (which is much easier to use), I couldn't. After some research, I found a few choices: Roxen, Apache, and AOLServer.

However, as a beginner, the amount of documentation available to Apache makes it a much attractive choice to me. So, I picked Apache instead of the other two.

Is it easy to use? No. But after a while, I got used to it. At some point, I began to like it. You can call it difficult to use, but once you master it, I actually feel that it's much faster to edit the .conf file than to go thru the preference panels of WebStar. Anyway, I am happy with my choice.

The point is, whether Apache is open-source or not doesn't mean anything to me. This is NOT why I picked it. I picked it because it does what I want and what I can afford. If there is another product that can fullfil my needs better than Apache does, I will pick that product even if it is not open-source.