Re: Why is RMI Java-only? Who does *that* serve?

Author:Bill Seitz
Posted:10/18/1999; 9:14:41 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I think the whole point of RMI was to make something simpler than CORBA, and that was a lot easier to do if you could assume that you were dealing with Java on both sides.

I also believe that CORBA and RMI offer a much richer distributed model than SOAP. The question is, what exactly does that mean? It's kinda like benchmarks, simple summaries are misleading. For the applications that many people need, SOAP may be perfect. For grandiose distributed-agent networks, SOAP may not do the job, but almost nobody's doing that rocket-science work anyway.

It's kinda like HTML vs SGML. The latter was a "better" architecture, but for building a critical mass of acceptance, simplicity was more important. Now, as we want to handle content in a richer way, we've run into the wall created by that simplicity, and have to figure out a migration path to XML....