Re: Go Mets!

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:10/19/1999; 8:38:45 AM
Topic:Go Mets!

Thanks Dave for that DaveNet piece (now I'm famous :). I read everything everybody posted and learned the following:

* I learned there's a lot of terms that are taken for granted, like "designated hitter". What the heck is that? Don't bother explaining, there's about fifty more terms that were mentioned, I could be here forever asking "and what's *that*?". This game is full of its own language, reminding me of the funny commercial about English and "What the hell are they talking about" :). You can't argue with that. See this quote: "And then with the bases loaded, a home run!" Earth to Baseball fans: are we speaking the same language? 'Scuse me?

* This game is a religion. You can't argue with that. See this quote: "Yes, they're the team from NY, but in a larger sense, they are the team from God!". Egads! :)

* This game is American. You can't argue with that. See this quote: "We're a very young country, and baseball works as a link to our past and something we share across all generations, but most importantly, with ourselves."

* Soccer is not American and probably never will be. In fact it's probably UN-American. You probably can't argue with that.

Conclusion: you can't argue with why people like this game. Either you do or you dont.

Thanks for my re-education.