Re: Too many editors

Author:Dave Polaschek
Posted:10/29/1999; 7:06:56 AM
Topic:SalonHerringWiredFool.Com

Now, when I post a message here, I keep wondering what idiot is going to "prove" me wrong or corrupt or stupid. I edit my pieces while I'm writing with this in mind. It has become overwhelming. Again, I want to quit.

I've been thinking about this myself in connection with my own weekly weblog. It's probably going to be moving to a machine running Frontier before the end of the year, but I haven't decided if I want to have a discussion group connected to it or not.

On the one hand, having a discussion group adds a feeling of community, which is a good thing for the readers.

On the other hand, you have to deal with criticism, second-guessing, and all sorts of things that just suck away your energy. I can see where it would be worse than TV as an energy-suck.

The alternative solution is that I put up a discussion group, and ignore it while I'm writing. That'll take a sort of split-personality thinking, but if I can manage it, it might be the best solution for me.

Personally, I like being able to comment on Dave's thoughts here. It lets me get some of my ideas "out there" in a way that's much less time consuming than writing something up on my own website, where I like to see things look more polished. I'd miss it if it were gone, but I'd definitely understand. The mail pages worked pretty well, but the danger there is that it'd be more work to sort through the mails and turn them into a mail page (at least it would be for me, maybe Dave's got better workflow that I should learn) than it is to just sit back and watch a discussion group.

-DaveP