Re: Too many editors

Author:Philip Suh
Posted:10/29/1999; 7:35:55 AM
Topic:SalonHerringWiredFool.Com

"But mindless stuff is annoying and sometimes gets in the way. I couldn't believe all the ridiculous posturing and theorizing... "

Some general observations:

  • People often post because they can, not because they should, or because they have something to say.
  • American often have the ridiculous notion that 'free speech' mean that they have the right to say whatever they want. I think some of that 'say what I want' culture is encoded into the 'Net's DNA.
  • The medium itself does not encourage thought and reflection--it's far too easy to speak up.

    What's in it for me?

    Well, that's a question you'll have to answer for yourself, I think. However, let me say this: you have put a lot of time and effort into creating a forum around your ideas, and a community of sorts has formed around those ideas. That in and of itself is a cool thing.

    You should also remember, that there is a wider audience than those who give knee-jerk responses. Far more people are listening than are responding.

    Cheers, Phil