Re: Empty Threats

Author:Jeff TP
Posted:11/7/1999; 10:11:46 AM
Topic:Ancient Geeks

The government has done little or nothing to Microsoft except empty threats. These finding of facts that Judge Jackson has produced are first attempt by one person or group to fully summarize the commercial software industry from a Microsoft centric perspective. It paints a grim picture of America: land of consumer exploitation.

I agree with every paragraph of the document.

If you've read the document and have not become upset at Microsoft, I can only wonder how much abuse you can tolerate as a customer. Of course, you put up with Netscape's "product" until at least version 3 from the sounds of it. The whole incident hopefully will make consumers angry with the entire computer industry. An industry that refuses to accept blame for its failures.

Software licensing agreements say I'm paying for nothing more than the rights to use a product that may not do anything. I have no rights to modify the product, not even to make it work. I have no rights to transfer my license. I have no rights.

I think the reason you folks are worried is because your industry may finally end up being responsible for the work you do. And this is America, where the goal is to make as much money and reap as much power as you can without having to have any responsiblity.