Re: Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Paul Snively
Posted:11/9/1999; 10:24:18 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Dave Winer wrote:

So maybe there needs to be two Apaches?

Because Apache is open source, no one really has the power to say Apache does this or Apache doesn't do that.

I presume you mean "two Apache XML CMS systems."

It's an interesting question. Certainly it seems like there would be value in saying "under the Apache umbrella we have CMS systems for those who prefer to code in Python, those who prefer to code in Java..." Or perhaps the idea is to say, given an object store, an XML parser, and an XSLT parser, here's a framework that you can use to glue them all together using XML-RPC... but I think that's a much larger task.

I guess my question is, what's the goal? If it's interoperability, then why not just petition the Cocoon team to provide an API through XML-RPC and let them stay in Java? Or is there a broader goal I've not perceived?