Re: T. Nelson Critique of Embedded Markup

Author:Brett Bourne
Posted:11/9/1999; 10:46:00 AM
Topic:T. Nelson Critique of Embedded Markup

I do think Nelson also believes that a world where anyone could become a properly-compensated publisher would be a great boon to the growth of human thought.

I suspect you are right, and I would certainly agree

English is a great container/generator, but an absolutely horrid language for specification of anything

I can see that. I come from the literary to the programming, FWIW. I do appreciate TN's willingness to go hard at the fundamental issues and not mess around with tweaking features. Tough balance between "getting it right" and maintaining momentum. Perhaps one of the benefits of the Internet is we can do both!

Perhaps the importance of Nelson's work is debatable only because it IS so simple to express the basic issue, and so easy to forget how fundamental it is to all of the human activity in this domain. You guys have got me thinking. thanks, Paul