Re: CallTheShots.com

Author:Paul Snively
Posted:11/18/1999; 11:35:15 AM
Topic:CallTheShots.com

Dave Winer wrote:

They snarf bits of text off the pages you specify. That's why it's controversial. It breaks new grounds, invading space formerly presumed by many, including myself, to belong to the copyright holder.

Ask a question, Dear Paul, when you don't know the answer. Saves bandwidth.

OK, so they're on shakier legal ground than others might be. I can see why that is of interest to publishers, but the reason I didn't look closer before posting is because it's irrelevant to my thesis: the technical solution(s) are valid regardless of whether they relocate or not.

More importantly, the philosophical shift--from servers delivering content to servers delivering the capability to view content--is worth reinforcing. One significant reason it's worth reinforcing is because it's neutral with respect to the question of where the content lives. It addresses the general issue of what the recipient is able to do with the content, which subsumes the issue of whether the content has been copied somewhere or not.