Re: Usability fork

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:11/22/1999; 1:15:15 PM
Topic:Why Linux Won't Splinter

I suspect that if we see truly "usable Linux" systems, they will sharply restrict the space of possible system configurations and supported applications, and warn the customers that if they muck around under the hood, they void the warranty.

Why stop there? Why not just seal it shut? We can already see that PC makers are starting to like the 1984-era idea of slotless computers, so why not complement that with operating systems that don't have dangerous configuration options at all?

That was one thing I liked about MacOS: Either it booted or it didn't, but there was never any in-between.