Re: Beebo.Org: Weblog Ratings

Author:Michael Stillwell
Posted:11/22/1999; 6:10:22 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I imagine google does do approximately the same thing as I'm doing except that, yes, with only 200 or so links in the database, I can afford to fetch them a couple of times a day. The other difference is that weblog domain is such that I can identify exactly what is and what isn't a weblog, so I don't have the clustering problems google has. (I don't have to guess whether a pages is, in fact, related to Leonardo DiCaprio; I know.)

One thing I've come to realise recently that search engines such as google are (heavily) biased in favour of old sites, because they are the ones that are linked to from other sites. An otherwise worthy new site has little hope of reaching the top of google's rankings on the strength of its content alone. It has to beg or borrow links from other sites.

Actually, just testing this theory now, a jokes site I set up more than five years ago, and have not changed significantly in over three years, comes up ranked fifth on a google search for "humour". I guess this would be more impressive if it were "humor" but still, google returns almost 100000 hits for "humour". I can say with absolute certainty that it is not the fifth best "humour" site on the internet.

Michael