What the Zope/Mozilla Initiative Means

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:12/10/1999; 12:10:46 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I noticed an interesting news tidbit today:

Zope.Org: The Zope/Mozilla Initiative. "Zope's management environment pays for the flexibility of an 'Internet architecture' by being less productive than competitive 'thick-client' environments." Hmmm. Refreshingly honest! (We like thick clients, but we like thin ones too.)

Right now, Mozilla is nearing an alpha release. The browser core is clean, speedy (except for the bogus reflow problem) and starting to stabilize. We should see a useable alpha within a few months, and a beta a while after that. Netscape still doesn't know how to write large applications, but they're making slow progress anyway.

Mozilla already implements tons of W3 standards. Imagine those broadband DHTML apps, and you'll get the idea. Mozilla has client-side scripting, GUI widgets and the ability to munge XML. The Mozilla HTML editor, for example, is essentially a large Javascript application, as is the newsreader. What this means: If Netscape ever releases Mozilla, you should finally be able to write portable applications that run in a browser. There's even an improved text-editing widget.

Zope's front-end is heavily web-based. It uses frames, forms and lots of