Re: Charlie Wood Opts Out

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/14/1999; 11:26:33 PM
Topic:Charlie Wood Opts Out

Eric, the Nazis were different. Yes, we should disclaim anything Nazi. If Nazis re-enter popular culture, there will be a bloody war. The Jews aren't going to go down that path again. We're a peace-loving tribe, fucked up in our own way, but we've got a slogan for this, Never Again, and we'll go to war to stop any attempt to resurrect the Nazis. Learned our lesson, the other races won't come to our defense. Anti-semitism is still rampant, just under the surface. This is the shame of being anything but Jewish, your ancestors stood by and let it happen. It's a very recent very big wound, not just for Jews, for everyone. Our shame is great over this, but the shame of the others is greater. And when I say it's still out there, I know it. Can you believe that as a kid, because I was Jewish, I was blamed in the schoolyard for World War II, which was over 10 years before I was born. I remember that very well. I thought there was something wrong with me because I was Jewish.