Re: Support Amazon

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:12/20/1999; 10:39:59 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I don't hold any patents. But I like the idea.

Amazon is using patents instead of copyrights to protect it's innovations. If Barnes & Noble or the rest of us think that 1-button ordering doesn't qualify based on prior work or being a natural occurance then the patent should be challenged. Or the notion of patenting business procedures or software. If the innovation is vital to the public welfare (and it might be) we can appeal for an exception the same way governments apply their fiat to drug commpanies in the face of an epidemic.

There is nothing to say we can't license the technology from Amazon. Or create the next innovation that Amazon must license from us. The point of patents is to give people enough rights and exclusivity that they might be able to profit from an innovation. Do you think it is just striking us as wierd that someone is patenting the shortcut key on the web's cash register?

I guess this points out again that no matter what our industry or how we collect cash, all of us are in the intellectual property game.