Re: Rant

Author:Leos Kral
Posted:1/6/2000; 5:03:20 PM
Topic:HTML Renderer in the MacOS

I did finally listen to Jobs' speech. They're clearly on the way to creating their own web. In the normal web context, this would be seen as a Bad Thing. If it were Bill Gates on stage people would be screaming bloody murder at the idea of locking people into an OS thru web services.

Perhaps I am naive or just dense, but I don’t see it that way. I don’t see iTools as splitting the web. If I understand it correctly, iTools makes it easy for Mac owners to easily create web content that is served to the rest of the internet using standard web protocols. In a sense Apple is creating their own version of (admittedly not as full featured or flexible) frontier/manila like services for Mac owners. You pop your content into the right folders and the content gets rendered through templates into a website that any browser can view. Is there a lock in? Not really, you can always move content somewhere else. It is no more a lock in than choosing any other content management system.

As far as some of the other functions that iTools provide for Mac owners only, I don’t see how they split the web. With the possible exception of not being able to comment on ratings, all of the other services just add value to owning a Mac (I am not taking a stand on the worth of the value) but don’t take anything away from those that don’t own a Mac. They just use the internet as a transport mechanism. Sure, iTools could evolve into something more sinister over time, but at this point that is just a "Slippery Slope” argument. In a world where Windows dominates, it would be foolish for Apple to try and create an “incompatible neighborhood”.