Re: Now it makes more sense

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:1/8/2000; 11:00:03 AM
Topic:Now it makes more sense

I've been using a Windows version, http://www.x-drive.com/. They have a client for Win95/98 that adds a drive X to Windows Explorer. It is a free 25MB on their site (they hope to sell more room later). I can drag and drop, organize folders, rename, delete, share, etc., using the same skills I use now.

They don't have an NT client so for the rest of my machines I use their browser UI! It is a bit slower and kloodgier [spelling? word?] but it works fine using standard HTML forms.

So for me this is just a matter of X-drive-the-company doing the right thing for me: delivering storage in all the ways I'm likely to want to use it. I'm willing to put up with slow and clunky for universal access.

I've been down the browser file upload learning curve before. Apple is delivering their service in a way favors the existing skills and behaviors of their installed user base. User acceptance based on low barrier to entry and higher functionality and performance than alternatives.

The exclusivity of the interface is smart business in the short term; it creates another reason for gushing mac users to evangelize beloved Apple. It locks in users and differentiates the core product. The challenge will be to assure that mixed households and offices (Mac/Win/Linux) can share files too.

hmmm. Maybe Microsoft, Yahoo!, or AOL will be buying someone in this category in response?