Re: Now it makes more sense

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:1/8/2000; 1:42:22 PM
Topic:Now it makes more sense

Exactly.

It's not that the web doesn't matter. It's not that Apple isn't getting the internet.

It's that even today, 90% of what people do is still on their desktop. Doing everything is a web browser is silly. The web browser is still horribly primitive even by 1984 computing standards. Truth be told, MS has the right idea, integrate the internet into the desktop, not the other way around. When internet standards and protocols are as part and parcel of the OS API as dialog boxes and printing then we'll see the kind of services that people can really use.

I don't see any point in running Excel in my browser, but I do see the benefit in giving Excel the ability to reach anything on the internet. That's really what Apple is trying to do, even if they do nudge it into directions that benefit them.

There's no reason why a Windows or Linux user couldn't mount their iDisk on their desktop as well. Both groups understand how to implement ASIP serving, there's nothing stopping them from building in a client...

And iDisk still *is* part of an internet strategy even if it doesn't call the browser into play. Every item in my iDisk has an associated URL that is always active. Watch:

Here's a picture of my son at 2 months stored on his iDisk. It just hides a lot of the plumbing ala Manila... and illustrates why I like both technolgies so much...