Re: Fortune Cover Story

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:1/13/2000; 12:04:27 PM
Topic:Fortune Cover Story

While I'd happily chair the Apple cheering committee, it should also be noted that this moment right here is pivotal for Apple. Recovery mode is over, the house stands firm, profits are coming in. Now growth needs to happen - top-line growth.

Apple has been increasingly profitable, but not _really_ increasingly influential in terms of market share. While dropping system prices and a popular iMac have made the recovery work and contributed somewhat to share, Apple needs to show that they can lower their margins and really start to grab market share. That's what is needed to continue to bring developers to the platform. And developers will help bring new users to the platform.

Dave presents me with an interesting problem. Do I want to be a Userland customer or an Apple customer? While Frontier should run on OS X, it won't run particularly well unless Dave can justify a carbon rewrite. Mac users do live in interesting times...