Re: CMS Perl module HTML::Mason

Author:Roger Espinosa
Posted:2/10/2000; 10:22:41 AM
Topic:CMS Perl module HTML::Mason

"Elegance" is a subjective term :)

I settled on Mason after a spin through the usual "embedded Perl" modules (HTML::Emberp, Apache::ASP), the bits and pieces of Frontier that I saw anually (pre-Manila), and trying to grok Zope.

Mason, IMHO, has more in common with Frontier and Zope than the other Perl modules, because it treats files as script components instead of "applications", for want of a better term. (This is, obviously, the briefest comparison -- and focusing entirely on observations of code/site structure than the presence or lack of ODB).

What it's lacking is an integrated data-store, which is decidedly where I feel Frontier the most *elegant* of the three (and the feature that I'd kill for most).

I've only used it for application development; the CMS is interesting -- more focused on "staging" components than an end-user application, but it has the most intruging online spell-checker I've seen. The CMS feels somewhat like Zope (1.x series) in its interface and structure.