Re: Chiling patents

Author:Jakob Nielsen

An unused patent is harmless

I agree. In fact, it is better than harmless, because it prevents somebody else from getting the patent.

Even so, I still would not recommend that companies trust their future to this strategy. It may work in a few high-profile cases such as Amazon's one-click order, but there will be many other cases where the best defense is to have your own patents.