Re: Chiling patents

Author:Jakob Nielsen

What about your patents? Does Sun own them? If you own patents, what do you plan to do with them?

The general rule is that your empoloyer owns patent rights to anything you invented as part of your job (a few companies may have different rules). Certainly that was the rule at Sun. I don't mind since it was our jobs in the Science Office to invent stuff for the company, some of which was patented.

Anyway, that means that it is up to the company how they want to use their patents. I obviously can't speak for a company where I don't work any more, but the general sense I got was that the main use of patents was in self-defense.