Re: Amazon & Patents

Author:Scott Storkel

I can understand why Amazon feels they need to file software patents. As a software and web developer, I can understand the frustration of seeing these patents granted.

Here's my proposal: Amazon should publicly commit to placing their Internet patents in the public domain within 12-18 months of receiving them! This allows them a short-term measure of protection against competitors who would blatantly rip-off their technology. In addition, the finite period of protection would put the pressure on them to continue to innovate and build their business. Finally, it doesn't completely stagnate the web development community by placing fundamental technologies out of reach for the next 20 years.

Of course, the long-term solution is to fix the way the USPTO handles software patents, but I don't think anyone expects that to happen soon!