Re: ArsDigita University

Author:Nick Sweeney
Posted:4/17/2000; 8:06:49 AM
Topic:Re: ArsDigita University

I imagine Greenspun is just average-level arrogant for an academic...

As someone dealing with healthy doses of both academic and non-academic environments, my take is that academics (especially at the high level) tend to want to stress that getting things done "properly" is hard; non-academics want to show how getting things done can be easy. Academics are happy to deal with the steep learning curve of LaTeX, or even plain TeX for their papers; non-academics will more likely do their writing in ASCII or put it on a web page to "get it out there". But because academics are often Platonists, with an abstract Idea of how things should be, it's so much harder for them to compromise than the Aristotlians who build things from the ground up, from the stuff around them.