Re: Exodus outage?

Author:Jeffrey Baker
Posted:4/22/2000; 8:35:48 AM
Topic:Exodus outage?

I realize that you are in Exodus already, but I would put my money on Level 3. Level 3 has many advantages over Exodus. First, Exodus wants to feed their new, small customers to their old, large customers. It's something of a pyramid scheme. They want you to buy storage, monitoring, machines, and software from their existing in-house partners. You can resist, but it is annoying when their salesmen are always trying to feed you to their machine. Speaking of Exodus salesmen, the ones I interact with don't know anything about the facility or the network.

Second, Level 3 has very technically advanced facilities. They have more fiber running into their colo centers than anyone else in the world. They have telco-class power systems and truly high-end networking gear. Their backbone is extremely robust: I've never experienced an outage that I noticed. And the important thing to me is that they don't see me as some infinite revenue source. They are happy to just sell me floorspace, power, and bandwidth and leave me alone. They don't know and couldn't care less what I am doing with my machines. Indeed, many of their customers aren't doing anything related to the web. Level 3 is something of a Swiss bank of colo centers.

Now you have my two cents on colocation providers.