Re: There are no flame-fests here

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:4/22/2000; 11:28:57 AM
Topic:There are no flame-fests here

I understand the motivation. Does this put the power to kill a board in the hands of a few idiots, newbies, or the socially maladroit? Simile: your policy floods the floor with gasoline so the first people not to read the warning signs or smell the fumes blow the whole place up. Does this suffer from the same limits as cold war "mutually assured destruction"?

You're probably not in the mood but I have a suggestion.

Create a "flame flag," a little switch a moderator can check by something considered to be a flame, off color, off topic, or otherwise outside the published rules for the DG. Display a little icon, perhaps a bomb? This lets DG folks navigate around flaming content and go on about their conversations. If they are curious, the flames remain, but if not they are warned off: the poster is publicly chastized, the readers can see who is breaking the code, stats should reflect lower readership, and it takes less effort than deleting a post.

You still have veto power.

And you can always pull the plug.

Never seen this but always thought this might work.

Chag Sameach.