Re: Proposed ISP?

Author:Ken MacLeod

One problem with a simple agreement.

It would be spammer friendly.

Nope, create one exception and you'll end up supporting them all. How about banning Napster because it's used mostly for theft? You get the picture.

In any case, spam blocking software is far more effective and responsive to new spammers. For those of us who care, we're already getting near zero spam. For those of us who care about the bandwidth being eaten up by deflected-spam, we should convince more users to use spam blocking software so that spam becomes less and less profitable.

In a related sense, this is why the phone company doesn't block harassing callers (like phone solicitors) for you, but does provide blocking options that you can use and tracing options in case of illegal or threatening usage.