Re: Why Java Seems Doomed to Fail

Author:David Brown
Posted:5/2/2000; 12:56:48 PM
Topic:Why Java Seems Doomed to Fail

The Blackdown JVM has been very stable for me and I have a great Linux Java development environment on a laptop and a desktop

And you can download Sun's Blackdown-derived JDK right from http://java.sun.com . I can't believe the guy did very extensive research. Didn't even check to see if Sun offers a Linux JDK. Just go here.

Java on the server is becoming much more popular and depending on the application, Java within the browser might not be the best solution

The whole 'Java sucks in the browser' bit is besides the point, and seems to be the focus of the entire article... Browser support sucks == Java sucks is what it boils down to, and is a bit of a fallacy.

If Java fails, it'll fail becuase Sun is trying to use it to lock people into Sun, no matter what their 'Community License' says. And that's my opinion. I'm not going to state it in a way that makes it sound as if it was passed down from on high.

Java is very useful on the server side, and runs very well there.

But I do most of my own personal development in Python, so there you go.

dave