Re: Firewalls, Hooray

Author:Wesley Felter

No, I wasn't talking about requests. I was talking about the response that the server sends when the user clicks on the Pike button. Let's look at an example:

The user clicks the Pike button, and his browser sends this to the server:

GET /something/editInPike$1234 HTTP/1.0
Host: discuss.whatever.com

Then the server sends back to the browser:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: UserLand Frontier/whatever
Connection: close

#server discuss.whatever.com #msgNumber 1234

This is the contents of message 1234 on the DG of discuss.whatever.com.

The browser would save the above contents to a file and then send that file to Pike (using AppleEvents on MacOS; I forget how it works on Windows). Pike would read the contents of the file into a new window, stripping out the #directives that tell it where to send the modified content to.