Re: No more dangerous than a soup recipe?

Author:David Valentine

Which transport is being used is not important, what's important is that Web-scale apps built on SOAP are going to want/need to implement server to client communication.

If server to client is an incoming connection, it ain't gonna happen until IPv6 appears, and even then it may not happen (we are all too cheap to pay for an extra IP). XML-RPC needs its own port. People just can't set up a home email server, and there will be a backlash to handing off stuff via email.

Home NAT's are becoming ubiquitous. NAT's are in win98 second edition. My ISP sells a NAT solution as a SOHO connection, instead of giving out 5 IP's. It's built into serveral DSL and cable modems (although it's not enabled by default). Why pay $10 a month for 2 extra IPs from @home, when you can get a hardware nat with a 4port switch for less than $200, just a hardware nat for $99, or win98 ICS for the cost of a second ethernet card.

XML-RPC on it's own port. That way hardware and software designers can design it into thier solutions.