Re: Alternate approach (was Re: Firewalls, Hooray)

Author:Steven Vore

(Remember, I havn't seen Pike in action yet, as I'm sitting behind a firewall.)

Question: Pike uses ftp or http push to get it's info out to the server? Or something like FrontPage's (ack, pthhpt!) "Publish" functionaltiy?

If yes, even this approach won't solve the firewall issue for all of us. There are administrators that won't allow outbound ftp or http push (or telnet any direction) through their firewall.

If no, it uses a form-type PUT in the background, then just ignore me.

Question: Pike only talks to Manila servers, yes?

Thought (while in the shower this morn): if so, does (or could) Manila have smpt capability added? In addition to ftp or http, could Pike e-mail changes to the server? Have Manila put a special email address into a meta tag that Pike could use for posting changes. SMOP, right? ;-)

I havn't finished my first coffee yet, so this may not be completely coherant, but I figured I'd add to the brainstorming.