Re: AOL switching from IE to Netscape?

Author:Andrew Z
Posted:6/8/2000; 4:56:13 PM
Topic:Re: What the Web Wants

"Confusion in the Web world serves AOL's interests"

It also serves MS. If MS's NGWS is indeed SOAP and XML pushing services you'll see an extended version of an MS internet where open standards are embraced and extended to run best on an MS dominated environment.

But frankly, I don't think AOL will replace IE until they can get a truly AOL browser that meets their goals of AOL everywhere running on PDAs, appliances, Linux, etc. Once they get a truly AOL browser going (which only works with their content but with internet e-mail and news) THEN they can dump IE. And frankly, I think AOL and MS aren't that far apart on their visions of how to cash in on the net. They'll do what you, Dave suggest: control the software by making it free/the OS then selling goods and services on the net.

Both companies will use open standards thrown in with some proprietary hooks to deliver content. MS will unlikely care whose content they carry as long as they are paid and hook every MS product together. AOL will use an open standards browser to create a service where you log into AOL from any device and pay by the minute to shop and chat.