Re: David Strom response

Author:David Rothgery
Posted:6/9/2000; 10:44:24 PM
Topic:Re: DaveNet: What The Web Wants

we all will feel pain from whatever happens here. Three possibilities:

1. Microsoft wins on appeal, and continues to grab new markets using dominance in older markets.

Well, there's also

1a. Microsoft wins less than completely on appeal. One count of anti-trust violations is overturned (Judge Jackson found MS guilty on two counts of violating anti-trust law), and the appeals court puts some sort of conduct remedy in place, forcing Microsoft to at least be more creative in how it grabs new markets. Alternatively, a settlement might be reached with the same effect, though I suspect that Joel Klein and Janet Reno (and possibly Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates) have to go before a settlement is really possible. Still, I think this is very likely.