Re: I love Mira > blue sky

Author:Phil Wolff

Nick Sweeney > There's something about social space that we can learn from, I think, for our interactions online. Why do people stare into their newspapers on the London tube, or the NY subway, but smile and have conversations with strangers on the Amsterdam trams or the buses in my home town?

If we can work that one out then we can go some way towards dealing with flame wars. I think it's to do with a sense of belonging that extends to the infrastructure, having an investment in the pavements as well as the properties.

Have you ever video taped yourself as you use a discussion group or go through email? [call to usability folks!] In RL, we use many outward cues to reflect our inner states. Mostly non-verbal. But the DG is a verbal and visual medium. I suggest that this disconnect is one prime causal factor DG breakdowns.

Flames that escalate into wars, threads that go off-topic for too long, unintelligible posts, even commercial posts. In RL we respond to these with non-verbal feedback: groaning with disapproval, feigning boredom, looking confused, shaking your head while closing a door in a salesman's face.

Smileys and text treatments were some of the first non-verbal signals online. Dave added all those cool pictures glossary calls to add more connotation to our text.
"gandhi"
"touch of grey"
But we are still at a loss. The reason an American can function, even minimally, away from his native land is that people share so much body language and common experience.

Resolved:

We must continue to strive to infuse our conversational media with the nuance, subtlety and elegance of body language.

Within the current state of the market, Manila's image and audio annotation are a great enhancement. But what is the next big leap?

Many new I/O devices, including voice, are emerging. They make possible new technologies for capturing, representing, and communicating affect, counterpoint, intensity, sincerity, and visceral states. If anyone cares to talk, I'm sure we can whip up a business plan or a DG.

- Phil [http://dijest.editthispage.com/]